Toughness defined the final game of the series between the Noblesville Millers and the Fishers Tigers baseball teams Friday. With snow flurries in the air and gusting winds abound, the Millers were able to pull out a 6-3 win.

“I think our kids were much tougher than last night,” said Noblesville coach Justin Keever. “It’s gritty, not pretty, right? So I think that’s what it comes down to -- we can’t worry about what we looked like, we’ve just got to go out there and just compete.”

The Millers got off to a fast start with D.J. Owens hitting an early single that brought Tyler Owens in from second base, but Fishers fought back as JJ Woolwine scored thanks to a Grant Richardson base hit that followed a dropped fly ball and a wild pitch.

Noblesville added to its total in the second, fourth, sixth and seventh innings but the biggest difference according to Keever came on the mound.

“I thought Reese Sharp was really strong,” Keever said. “Kade Gorman (then) comes in (and) slams the door.”

Sharp pitched until midway through the fifth inning and registered 10 strikeouts with only one walk. Meanwhile, the Tigers registered 10 strikeouts between all five of their pitchers and walked eight batters.

Fishers coach Matthew Cherry gave credit where credit was due for Noblesville’s performance.

“Coach Keever did a great job of getting his guys ready to play and bounce back after two losses last night just like I knew that they would,” said Cherry. “Those guys brought energy, nothing to take away from them because they capitalized but we walked eight guys, hit two guys and didn’t put ourselves in position to win but they capitalized on our mistakes.”

The mistakes mounted for Fishers in the seventh inning. Down 4-3, Noblesville loaded the bases following Gorman’s base hit, Sharp getting walked and Jackson Ramey getting a base hit. Bryce Randolph then walked, bringing in a Noblesville run in and Matthew Wolff to the mound for Fishers.

An errant throw out at third base allowed another runner to score, bringing the score to 6-3 before Mark Goudy struck out with the bases loaded. Fishers then came up to try to even the score before Randolph made an acrobatic catch on a long fly ball deep to right-center field. That set the tone for the rest of the inning and despite runners getting on second and third bases, Wolff hit a fly ball for the second out and a tag out at second base ended the game.

“I just thought our kids played tough today,” said Keever. “It was an awful day in terms of the elements and they just came out and competed in all seven innings as (Fishers) did too. It’s an HCC environment, that’s the way it is, it’s freaking 30 degrees out here and both teams are letting it hang out. It wasn’t pretty but we’ll take it.”

Frigid weather could have helped cause some of the wild pitches and dropped fly balls. At one point eight fly balls were hit with only one finding its way to a glove.

“I don’t know what the cause is, (the weather) doesn’t help,” said Keever. “We’re not going to make any excuses but I just think there’s a lot of things going at you. You’ve got the other team competing against you, you’ve got the weather, you’ve got a bunch of quote-unquote distractions and you’ve just got to come out here and compete and I think that’s what our kids did today and came out on top.

“Whether we won or lost, it was a nip-tuck ball game going to the seventh. I appreciated our kids effort tonight more-so than I did yesterday, yesterday was really kind of frustrating with the way we competed last night and I think tonight was a little better effort on our part and it turned out good for us, win or lose.”

The win capped off what had been a frustrating series for the Millers as they lost to the Tigers twice on Thursday by the scores of 3-0 and 7-2. The Millers advanced to 4-4 on the year and will next play Westfield on Thursday April 12th at 6:00 p.m. in Westfield. Fishers fell to 5-3 and will next play Greenfield-Central at Greenfield on Tuesday at 6 p.m..